St Hilary, Cornwall
St Hilary is a small village (population 821 [2011 Census]) situated in West Cornwall approximately 5 miles East of Penzance. Many mines are situated in the area one of which, Penberthy Croft, was recently named a site of special scientific interest due to its deposits of copper, lead and arsenic.
The parish church, dedicated to St Hilary of Poiter has stood in the village since at least the 13th century but was rebuilt in 1853 after a fire. Notable Grenfells who were baptised in St Hilary include Pascoe Grenfell Senior (1729), his second son Pascoe Grenfell, MP (1761) and his youngest daughter Lydia Grenfell (1775). Parish records reveal several other Grenfell Baptisms (1727-1812), Marriages (1727-1805) and Burials (1742-1825).