St Day, Cornwall
St Day is a small Cornish village approximately 2 miles to the East of Redruth. From the 1600s to the mid 19th century it’s wealth and prosperity was based on copper mining with numerous mines within its environs. However, as the copper mines declined so did the population.
In the village stands the ruins of the St Day Holy Trinity Old Church. Built between 1826-28 at a time when the town was expanding rapidly due to the mining boom, it suffered as the industry declined and became too large for the congregation. In 1931 the galleries were removed which compromised the integrity of the structure and in the 1950s the building was declared unsafe. As an alternative the parishioners started to worship in the church hall building which now serves as the parish church of St Day.
Several Grenfell Burials from 1835-1896 are recorded in the parish records of St Day.