St Buryan, Cornwall
The village of St Buryan is situated 5 miles west of Penzance. It is named after the Irish saint Buriana and contains many ancient sites within its boundaries including stone circles, holy wells and Celtic crosses.
The church of St Buryan dates from the 15th Century but a church has stood on the site since c.930 when King Ethelstan prayed at St Buriana’s Chapel and later bestowed it with a Royal Charter. Whilst a great honour this led to a very chequered history as arguments ensued between The Church and The Crown over the status of the parish which led to St Buryan being excommunicated 1328 only to be reinstated 6 years later.
St Buryan Parish records list several Grenfell family Marriages (1799-1881).