New Grenfell Logo shadow with text - final
Close this search box.


The village of Paul is situated south of Newlyn (near Penzance), and is closely associated with the fishing port of Mousehole. Much of its myth and history is connected to the parish church, St Pol de Léon’s Church (Paul Parish Church) which is claimed (unsubstantiated) to have been founded in 490 by the Welsh saint, Paul Aurelian. There is no evidence to suggest that the saint ever came to to West Penwith.

Paul Parish Church records several Grenfell Baptisms (1806 – 1869), Marriages (1758-1909) and Burials (1776 -1899).

The graveyard also contains three monumental inscriptions for the following Grenfells:

  • Catherine Grenfell d.1880; William Grenfell d.1913; James Grenfell d.1913
  • Abednego H Grenfell d.1969
  • Martin Grenfell d.1851; Johanna Grenfell d.1850; Mary Grenfell d.1841

Further information can be found on the Paul page of the Cornwall Online Parish Clerks website, the Genuki page dedicated to Paul and the relevant page contained in the West Penwith Resource.

Photo of Paul Paraish Church
Paul Parish Church (By Andrewrabbott)
Photo of Paul Parish Church
Paul Parish Church (By Steve Rigg, CC BY-SA 2.0)
Verified by MonsterInsights