Lelant is a small village in West Cornwall situated South East of St. Ives. Originally a busy seaport but due to silting now lies on the banks of the Hayle river. The origin of the name is derived from two Cornish words – lann and anta – meaning church site of Anta. Not much is known about Anta and the Lelant parish church is dedicated to St Uny. Records show that several Grenfells were married in Lelant between 1722-1826.