Gulval is a small village approximately a mile East of Penzance, on the edge of Mount’s Bay. The parish is thought to be named after a 6th-century saint, Gulval, although the exact origin of the name is a source of debate. Gulval church is predominantly a 12th century building with later additions including the tower and the lych gate.
Several Grenfell baptisms between 1762 and 1910 are recorded in the parish records. In addition, a Grenfell Family memorial can be found in the grounds of the church with inscriptions marking the deaths of Charles Granville Grenfell d. 1875, Pascoe Grenfell d. 1887, George Grenfell d. 1901.